If you are concerned about fine lines and facial wrinkles, you most likely have heard of Botox. Botox is a brand name of a toxin made by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum and was the first drug to use injectable botulinum toxin. Botox is a drug that doctors primarily use to treat wrinkles. Botox injections block chemical signals from the nerves in the targeted area, which signals the muscles to stop contracting and relax. Botox can also be used to treat various medical conditions like chronic migraines, neck spasms, excessive sweating and more.
At The Landing Dental Spa, we offer cosmetic Botox injections to patients looking to help prevent or improve fine lines and facial wrinkles. If you are considering getting Botox, we invite you to keep reading to learn more about it and discover if it is right for you.
Pros of Botox
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, botulinum toxin injections, like Botox, can be used to:
- Smooth crow’s feet, forehead furrows, frown lines, lip lines and bunny lines
- Diminish neck bands
- Improve the appearance of skin dimpling of the chin
- Lift the corners of the mouth
- Soften a square jawline
- Correct a gummy smile
Who Should Get Botox?
You may want to consider Botox if you are worried about fine lines or facial wrinkles. Many licensed medical professionals recommend receiving Botox when visible lines or wrinkles are seen when your face is relaxed.
A licensed medical professional may recommend that you are a good candidate for Botox if:
- You have moderate to severe facial wrinkles
- Your wrinkles are located around or between the eyes, on the forehead or around the neck
- You are in good general health
- You have realistic expectations for improvement
To protect your health and get your desired results, you should see a licensed medical professional with experience in these cosmetic procedures. Injecting Botox may look easy, but in-depth medical knowledge of how the body works is required for the procedure to be completed safely.
Cons of Botox
Botox is generally considered safe. However, there are risks of botulinum toxin injections, like Botox, to be aware of. The side effects and complications include:
- Bruising and pain at the injection site
- Flu-like symptoms
- Temporary facial weakness or drooping
- In rare instances, the botulinum toxin may spread beyond the treatment area, causing botulism-like signs and symptoms such as breathing problems, trouble swallowing, muscle weakness and slurred speech
Additionally, with preventive Botox, you risk “frozen” facial expressions, which results from the procedure’s muscle-relaxing effects. If you don’t have any wrinkles to begin with, you might want to carefully weigh the side effects and outcomes of Botox. Make sure to speak with a licensed medical professional before receiving the treatment to verify this treatment is best for you.
Who Should Not Get Botox?
Those who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, breastfeeding, allergic to cow’s milk protein or have a neurological disease should not get Botox. If you have any questions or concerns about your medical history, you should check with your doctor before undergoing a Botox procedure.
Also, it should be noted that Botox alone does not work on every type of wrinkle. There are two primary categories of wrinkles – dynamic and static.
- Dynamic wrinkles: formed by muscle movement, such as smiling, laughing or squinting
- Botox is a good option for this type of wrinkle
- Static wrinkles: caused by a loss of elasticity and collagen in the skin
- Fillers or a combination of Botox and fillers are a more effective option for this type of wrinkle
The Procedure at The Landing Dental Spa
During this procedure, a thin needle will be used to inject Botox into the targeted area. The number of injections will be based on the size of the area being treated. You will be able to resume normal activities after having this procedure. However, patients are encouraged to avoid rubbing or touching the area, avoid heavy exercise for 24 hours and remain in an upright position for six hours.
Results can last between three to four months. We recommend scheduling follow-up injections to maintain your results.
Cosmetic Botox | The Landing Dental Spa
If you have questions about Botox, don’t hesitate to contact our knowledgeable staff today. Our goal with our cosmetic and dental procedures is to make you feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible. We are here to offer you and your family state-of-the-art dental office experience with a spa-like atmosphere.
If you would like to make an appointment with us, please give us a call at 304-594-2200 or use our online contact form.